Night guards help protect the teeth from bruxism, or night teeth grinding. This condition affects many people, causing them to grind and clench their teeth while asleep. Because this happens while they are asleep, many patients do not realize that they suffer from this condition. While it is important to have bruxism diagnosed by a professional, here are a few common signs to look out for:
- Experiencing tiredness or fatigue around the jaw when waking up
- Increased tooth wear, even cracks or fissures in the enamel
- Lingering, consistent pain around the ears, jaw or generally around the face
- Chronic headaches or migraines caused by tension
- Teeth that are sensitive to touch or temperature changes
- Roughness or marked indentations around the edges of the tongue
Once you have been diagnosed with bruxism, our dentist can recommend possible treatment options. One of the most common ways Dr. Elizabeth Kim treats this condition is through oral night guards. These appliances are fitted to your mouth so they can be worn comfortably throughout the night. If you would like to find out more about night guards in Lake Forest, California, and other options for bruxism treatment, call 949.446.0700. Our office will be happy to answer your questions or to schedule you an appointment with Lake Forest Dental.